When it comes to hiring a new Physical Security Manager, Director of Business Development, or other key executive team member for your security agency or in-house security department, you should not overlook the benefits of working with an executive recruiter. The total cost of online job postings, applicant tracking systems, phone screens, reference checks, background checks, skills testing and HR staff wages, among other expenses, can be as high as $18,795.00 (according to gethired.com) for a new hire. While no recruiter can guarantee a candidate’s long-term success, cultural and overall fit within a position, a recruiter who is focused within the security industry can significantly increase its likelihood. In fact, there are several distinct advantages to working with an executive recruiter focused on the security industry, aka Security Management Recruiter.
Security Management Recruiters Provide More Than Resumes
Security management recruiters provide 6 distinct advantages to their clients:
1. Security Industry expertise: Security management recruiters are hiring specialists; they concentrate in a particular segment of the market to develop expertise in relevant language, regulations, industry trends and competitors’ strategies. Recruiters focused in a particular niche – like security – also bring an additional layer of credibility to their knowledge and expertise. This makes them especially valuable in quickly identifying qualified candidates with top-notch talent.
2. Confidentiality: When a manager needs to ensure that a position’s vacancy remains a secret, they can count on a recruiter to take care of the search in confidence. An employer might want to keep a role confidential due to it being occupied by a current employee or conceal a vacancy from competitors, to name a few reasons. These are legitimate concerns that any security management recruiter will honor throughout the search. Otherwise, the recruiter risks losing the employer’s business (and spoiling their reputation) by betraying the client’s confidence.
3. Expansive (and ever-expanding) network: Recruiters have their own databases of qualified candidates – often thousands – from which they can select the best possible professionals for a position. If their database doesn’t yield the right person for the role, the recruiter will take advantage of further networking techniques to continue to search for the perfect fit.
4. Prescreen to confirm fit: If a recruiter chooses a handful of candidate resumes at random and distributes them for an employer to review, is the security management recruiter adding anything of value to the employer’s hiring process? I would suggest they are not. Instead, the recruiter will screen qualified candidates to ensure their fit for the position. If the employer has expressed the necessity for a candidate to have CPP certification with exactly five to eight years of experience, including p&l responsibility, the recruiter must confirm that any candidate submitted for consideration has the credentials required.
5. Sensitivity to time: Recruiters thoroughly understand the urgency of searches for their clients; they’re aware that a business suffers when a position is vacant or the incumbent is under-performing. Working in a profession that revolves around finding the right candidates as quickly as possible, recruiters are experts at sourcing and delivering quality professionals in a timely manner. Pinnacle Placements limits the number searches we work on simultaneously in order not to dilute our efforts.
6. Payment contingent on success: A contingency recruiter is only paid by an employer if his or her candidate is selected for hire. Compared to the cost of hiring, the security management recruiter’s placement fee is cost-effective. Employers thus take little financial risk by engaging the services of a recruiter, because payment is only required upon selection and successful performance of a candidate who was chosen from a group of other high-caliber professionals.
Keep in mind that the businesses moving forward in today’s world are those committed to hiring the best talent available. Talent that can effectively sourced by an adept security management recruiter.
By David Lammert
OfficerReports.com would like to thank David Lammert for being our first guest blogger. David is founder and President of Pinnacle Placements. Pinnacle Placements is an executive search firm with core expertise in recruiting within the security industry. David can be reached via email at email@example.com or by phone at 415-495-7170. Visit: www.pinnacleplacements.com